Scripture Experience

      I shared the following scripture on my facebook Saturday and said I had an interesitng experience with it on my mission. I also said I would write a  blog about it! So let me start with the scripture and then I will explain the experience and how it has stuck with me in a few ways.

     "While he yet talked to the people, behold, his mother and his brethren stood without, desiring to speak with him. Then one said unto him, Behold, thy mother and thy brethren stand without, desiring to speak with thee. But he answered and said unto him that told him, Who is my mother? and who are my brethren? And he stretched forth his hand toward his disciples, and said, Behold my mother and my brethren! For whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother." (Bible; New Testament; Matthew 12:46-50)

     While serving in my first city, Santiago de Compostela, we were doing somthing in the church that day and there were some workmen there. I don't remember what they were fixing either, but one of them started talking to me about the church. My Spanish was at it's beginning minimum for sure and so I really could not express all I felt. And I really don't know how we got on to Jesus having siblings. I think he was talking about the Virgen Mary only having Jesus and no more children, or something like that. I explained to him that there was a scripture that talked about his brethren. I shared this scripture with him and he pointed out that Jesus said that he had no brothers, sisters or mothers besides the people around him he was teaching. Again, my lack of Spanish at the time left me without being able to point out several things, but I have always remembered it.

     The one thing that is evident is that the person who told Jesus his "mother and brethren" were there, DID NOT know Jesus was going to include everyone in his response. To the person telling Jesus, his thoughts were of Jesus' mortal mother and brothers. That is only logical, right?

     So why did Jesus respond as He did? There is a lot we don't understand, but He did point out that when we do our Heavenly Father's will we are brothers and sisters! Technically we are Spirit Brothers and Sisters anyway.

     Also, some people may think Jesus was not very nice to just jump right up and take care of his real mortal family. I am very sure He was trying to make a point we all need to learn, BUT we also know that He loved and honored His mother, for one of the last things He did from the cross was make sure His mother was taken care of. 

     A lot to think about for sure! But I said I would share more details about how this scripture has stuck with me so vividly through so many years and all.  Even though there is still much I can learn from it, I am sure! And you are welcome to share any thoughts you may have as well!

Comments

Popular Posts